Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

On Top of the Aquatic World

Been trying to get this post up for a couple days now, but between work and getting sick have caused this post to be a little delayed.  But...*drum roll*...here is my first exploration to post for this blog!

I have always heard about "rooftopping," the urban exploration term for getting to the roof of a building.  This has always been something I've wanted to do, but never had a chance to try or the ability to do so.   This all changed last week. On back to back days, I topped the Downtown Aquarium in Denver.  Though I work there and have contacts which made this possible, this is no small feet. While most urban explorers worry about falling to a splattering, bone crunching death, I had to navigate a steep, narrow staircase over our shark tank.  Though I want to dive with the sharks, falling in from 20ft up with a bunch of camera gear was not what I wanted to do.  Navigating the stairs led to the door to the roof, and an amazing view of Denver and the surrounding area.   A lone security camera is situated on the roof, but points away from the direction of where I was exploring.   My first run was a short, solo run, as I was looking to see how to get up to the roof for future reference.  The next day, a coworker accompanied me, but the bitter cold shortened our time on the roof.   While this isn't a major building to top, it was still a great experience and an awesome introduction for me into the world of rooftopping.

Night 1:
A view from the roof. Downtown Denver with the Elitch Gardens Observation Tower in front. 

Stairs up to the attic. 

Just me, chilling on my first roof. 

Night 2:

Looking out over Elitch Gardens with Mile High Stadium in the back.


Stepped zoom long exposure. Cool effect looking into Downtown Denver. 



On Top of the Aquatic World! 

Light painting fun on the roof. 

My coworkers first attempt, ever, at light painting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment